100 Word Challenge for Grown ups – Week #50 … the rain turned the road into a river…

July 19, 2012

My daughter lives in a favela; it has been cleansed of blatant criminal activity.  While it is a relatively safe place to live; it is an untidy disparate shanty town on the side of a mountain.  It is very vulnerable to the heavy rain that Rio is renowned for.   So when it rains in Babilonia it can have a mixed blessing.  One particular day while we were there; it rained so hard that the road turned into a river.  For about two hours the torrent of water washed the debris from the road. Once the rains had subsided and the sun can out the streets sparkled like new.

This is a light hearted but true story; but the strength of the rain in Rio should not be underestimated.  A year or two ago when my daughter first moved to Rio; a favela was indeed washed away in a landslide; many people were buried and homes lost.

1. July 19, 2012 3:40 pm

I was in Venezuela one summer. They too have the torrential downpours that can be devastating but seem to leave such renewed vibrancy in their wake. I think the nearness of the homes, the sardine-like planning of space use was a shock to me as much as the total friendliness of the folks living so closely together. Nicely done! 🙂

• July 19, 2012 3:51 pm

Oh thanks for that … I am very cautious about sharing such ‘raw’ detail to such an audience as the culture change is dusturbing for some.

2. July 19, 2012 9:39 pm

Those of us generally temperate climates have much to be thankful for! Thank you for the reminder 🙂

3. July 21, 2012 4:33 pm

very, very nice. Thanks. “the streets sparked like new….”
    I liked the pics a lot too.

• July 21, 2012 6:35 pm

I took a lot of the favela I am careful who I share them with … as they are raw and difficult to comprehend thanks for your kind comments

4. July 22, 2012 7:55 pm

The dangerous side of such a beautiful place. Still, I hope to go there someday.
    Nice work!

• July 22, 2012 7:59 pm

Don’t wait too long!!

• July 22, 2012 8:10 pm

No kidding! I’ve been on every continent but South America (and Antarctica, but brrrrrrr!). So it’s high on my list of things to do.