Advertisements

Alphabet Thursday … I is for Italy

January 15, 2015

Still walking in the streets but now in Italy; Italian cities are considered the ideals among travellers who are enthralled by the ways their architecture give beauty and meaning to everyday lives.  Authors compare and demonstrate the ways in which ‘plazas and streets can function to tie a city together socially and architecturally’. While in other cities have ‘deteriorated  into highways and parking lots’.  One author tells us of the Bologna’s portico,  a 4 mile walkway going from the central square to the countryside.  Another, describes Milan’s Galleria, winding streets of Perugia, car-free streets of Perugia and two storey public arcades of Brisighella.  A New Yorker in appreciation of the Italian walkers says ‘In ancient Italian towns the narrow streets at dusk becomes a kind of theatre’.

alphabet thursday

Images from

and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galleria_Vittorio_Emanuele

Advertisements
  1. January 15, 2015 3:58 pm

I would love to visit Italy one day.

2. January 15, 2015 4:17 pm

Your Milan Galleria picture is nice. Thank you. At first I thought it might have been Naple’s. We flew into Milan from Naples to pick up a rental car and never did go into the old town part.

I have some Italy pictures and narration on my “I” post today. It is hard to put four weeks worth intro on blog post. Been there a four times and pretty well covered the entire country.

3. January 15, 2015 11:53 pm

I spent a week in Italy once upon a time. Hopefully I will be back before my time is up. I liked walking the narrow streets of the cities and the small towns.

4. January 20, 2015 4:59 am

I loved the plazas in Italy. And all the little cars that fit on the narrow streets. Now that’s the way to get around! {:-D

5. January 20, 2015 9:50 pm

I would eat my way through Italy. Love Italian food.

6. January 22, 2015 7:09 am

I hope to walk around the streets of Italy one day again soon …sigh*