Alphabe Thursday … Y is for Yeshe Tshogyel.

November 8, 2012

Yeshe Tshogyel (757-817) (tib., Ye-shes mtsho-rgyal) the renowned Tibetan consort of Padmasambhava; she was born into a noble family and later resided at the court of Trisong Detsen.  She met the Indian scholar Santaraktsita and Padmasambhava said to have transmitted Vajrayana  Buddhism to Tibet and neighbouring countries in the 8th century.

Her relationship with Padmasambhava was fairly short but during that time he was to give her many important teachings especially those connected to the tutelary deity Vajrakila

As well as writing a biography of Padmasambhava she said to have recorded many of his teachings which were concealed as terma (hidden treasure) for later discovery.  After Padmasambhava left she spread the Dharma in the eastern regions of Tibet.

Pictures from Raume & Freud

e/Space and bliss.

1. Cathy Kennedy permalink
    November 8, 2012 12:14 pm

What’s with all the arms on such a statue? I’ve always wanted to know, maybe you can tell me the answer to this mystery. =D Thanks for sharing your ‘Y’ post with the classroom!

• November 8, 2012 2:19 pm

I am no expert so I asked a knowledgeable friend and he could only guess that 2 arms are never enough when you work for the benefit of all. 12 heads and 1000 arms should do the trick.

2. November 8, 2012 5:11 pm

Love the Buddhism posts! I’m fascinated with it….

• November 8, 2012 5:24 pm

I usually like to drop one in; ‘makes’ me research a bit . XX

3. November 13, 2012 6:35 am

Very interesting! Thanks for sharing!

4. November 19, 2012 11:12 am

I know so little about this culture.

It’s quite fascinating to read these. It’s like a peak into a whole new part of the universe for me.

Thanks for sharing!